Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Self-Control

1Peter 5:8

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Good morning Zebras,

Two years ago when God gave me the idea for Zebras it was this verse that came to mind. At that time I understood we needed to hang together and encourage each other so we would not get eaten.

And it has been wonderful.

Over the last two years, because of Zebras, I have definitely grown in my faith, but I am still not where I want to be. I am still too often eaten by the lion and ensnared in sin.

Last week God showed me why.

I live a life marked by the lack of self-control.

I used to think I just lacked self-control in the area of eating, so controlling my food intake would become my focus. But God showed me the problem is much larger than that because Biblical self-control is not limited to one area of life.


I should have self-control not only in what I eat and drink but also in how I spend my time and money and even how I speak and think.

Self-control means saying "no" to myself when I should say "no" and using moderation in all legitimate desires and activities. Self-control means not letting my emotions rule my life. Self-control means consistently conducting myself in a way that is pleasing to God.

The Bibles says: A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Think about that and ask God if you leave yourself open to attack due to your lack of self-control.

I know I do.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment