Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, July 30, 2010

Sacrificed to Idols

Romans 14:14

As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

1 Corinthians 8:8

But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Good morning Zebras,

This is another z-mail that I hesitate to write because I think the subject matter that I will be dealing with is a volatile one for women. So please pray before you read this that God allows you to see clearly what I am trying to say.

Food has always been my best friend and my worst enemy. I have had a battle with it my whole life. It was my greatest comfort through the most difficult times of my life and the weight I would gain would be both an insulation from the world and my greatest source of shame.

I would resolve to get it under control, and I would, but there was never the easy relationship with it that I desired. I knew I was one Oreo away from "the fall."

Something that God had made for me to enjoy had become a snare and an idol.

This week especially as I was preparing for the retreat I knew I could have nothing in my life that would keep me from hearing God, no unconfessed sins, no disagreements with others and certainly no idols, so I adopted the "Daniel diet." because hearing God speak was way more important then what I ate.

And because of that God gave me insight into my problem.

Those foods that were idols for me are not ones that I can eat. Even though I believe in my heart that no food is "bad" they are for me. They are too associated with the sins of unbelief and fear. They are triggers that set me off and need to be avoided.

The same is true of dieting.

I was put on my first diet by my mother when I was nine. My weight as a child was a source of family conflict. When I lost weight in High School my dad's comment was "You finally look like a girl." In my mind thinness and love are linked and that is wrong and untrue. God loves me because He loves me and He will love me fat and He will love me thin because His love is not dependent upon me it is dependent upon Him.

And the same is true of you.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment