Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, August 2, 2010

Turn Aside and Look

Mark 1:44-45

and He said to him, "See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."
But he went out and began to proclaim it freely and to spread the news around, to such an extent that Jesus could no longer publicly enter a city, but stayed out in unpopulated areas; and they were coming to Him from everywhere.


Good morning Zebras,

Now that the retreat is over I can start sharing with all of you what God taught me as I was preparing. I didn't want to tell you before because I didn't want to ruin it for those people who were able to attend.

I struggle with keeping what God is teaching me to myself. I just want to tell everyone everything, but that is not what God wants. He wants me to wait until the proper time.

And I think the time is now.

As I as preparing for the retreat God was showing me such amazing truths about Himself. I was completely humbled and I asked Him "Why Lord would You show these things to someone like me?

As an answer He took me to the third chapter of Exodus.

It was during the study of Exodus, through Bible Study Fellowship nine years ago, that God convicted me about personal quiet time. He said VERY clearly that I needed to get up early everyday and spend time in His Word. And for the most part that has been my pattern ever since.

So when He took me back to Exodus to answer my question it was like going home.

We all know the story, God is calling to Moses from a bush that is on fire but doesn't burn up. Moses wanders over to look and God speaks to him. Then God gives Moses his instructions: go and set the Israelites free from the slavery of Egypt. After a little bit of arguing Moses obeys and his life is changed forever.

BSF uses the New International Version of the Bible but recently I have switched to the New American Standard. So when I looked up this familiar passage it was written with different words. See if you can see the difference.

So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up."

So Moses said, "I must turn aside now and see this marvelous sight, why the bush is not burned up."

In the NIV Moses resolved to go to see a strange sight. In the NASB he was compelled to go to see a marvelous sight. Subtle differences.

Many people resolve to go and see the strange sight of God but after awhile they lose interest. They lose their resolve and start looking around at other things.

The reason that God shows me truths about Himself is that I listen. I turned aside to look when He told me to and I continue to do so everyday.

If your relationship with God is not what you want it to be you have no one to blame but yourself. He is there and He is marvelous you need to turn aside and look.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment