Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, August 13, 2010

Big Problems...Bigger God

2 Timothy 1:11-13

And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

Good morning Zebras,

How are you? Do you have a lot on your mind this morning? I do. Are you freaking out? I hope not.

While I was doing my quiet time this morning I realized that I had a few things “on my plate.” They may be bigger than the thing you are dealing with or they may be smaller but that isn’t really the point. The point is that I am not freaking out.

At the 1,2,3…Eyes On Me retreat I challenged women to think about whether or not their vision of God was too small. I asked them to consider the following questions:

Do your problems seem big?
Does sin seem undefeatable?
Does obedience seem voluntary or unpleasant?
Does life seem unfair?

If the answer to any of these questions is “Yes” then your vision of God is too small.

God is all powerful; He can do anything He chooses to do. He loves you. Nothing happens to you without His permission. He already knows what you need and He has commanded you not to worry about it. Worry is really lack of faith.

Defeating sin isn’t our job. That has already been done. Our job is just to walk it out. We are not powerful enough to defeat sin, but the Holy Spirit who lives inside of us is. Lean on Him and let Him do the work.

God deserves our obedience just because of who He is. But He rewards us when we do. Obeying God is the most selfish thing you can ever do. Quit trying to bless yourself and let God do it instead.

And finally, life is unfair. You deserve death. You and I are sinners: Romans 3:23 says: For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. We deserve nothing and God gave us everything. We need to be grateful.

Each of us gets to choose what we focus on today. We can focus on our problems or we can focus on our God. Whichever one you choose will be the one that “grows.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment