Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beautiful Women

1 John 4:19

We love because He first loved us.

Good morning Zebras,

Don't you just love it when God shows you that you have grown?

This morning I was doing my quiet time before church worshiping God for His love when I started thinking about today's verse. In my mind it has always been I love Him because He first loved me. But suddenly I had doubts. Is that really what it said? So I looked it up.

What it actually says is that we love because He loves us. Not that we love Him, but that we love. John had already written in the same letter: Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. So it is obvious from the context that the love he is talking about is not just our love towards God, but really the ability to love at all.

I have always had a thing against beautiful women. To be honest it was just jealousy and my own personal insecurity, but I could never get past their looks long enough to feel totally comfortable around them. I couldn't love them as God commanded because I was too focused on my own sense of inadequacy.

Last week at church I met a beautiful woman. Someone who in the past would have made me feel ugly, fat, and stupid just by standing next to her. But for some reason I didn't feel like that at all. In fact it didn't really register until later how pretty she was.

And I have been thinking about it ever since. What's changed?

This morning God gave me the answer: I have learned that God loves me. He loves me just the way I am. He does not expect me to be like anyone else. He only expects me to love Him back with all my heart, soul, and mind, to put Him first above the things of the world and to grow in my walk. When I do that He will enable me to love others.

If you struggle with loving others or feeling inadequate or insecure go and spend some time with Jesus. Let Him tell you how very much He loves you and then you will be able to love others with His strength instead of your own.

Love,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. zebra's are some of the most beautiful animals! Love the concept here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you-it was directly from God. Come join us on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete