Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, August 20, 2010

Does God Beg?

Luke 8:28

When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!"

Good morning Zebras,

Tuesday at Bible study we got into an interesting discussion about whether or not God begs.

We were watching a video teaching on Revelation 3:14-24, and the instructor, who is a very passionate woman, portrayed God as begging the church at Laodicea to open the door and let Him in; otherwise He would have no choice but to spit them out of His mouth.

After the video I commented that although I thought the teaching was wonderful, I do not believe we should be portraying God as someone who is begging us to let Him into our life. Somehow to me, that didn’t seem right.

Others disagreed, some weren’t sure, and I have been thinking about it ever since.

So this morning I did a search on BibleGateway for the word “beg.” And I was right-God does not beg. People beg each other and people beg God but God does not beg.

And that makes sense.

The online definition for beg is: to call upon in supplication; entreat. In other words, the person doing the begging is the one who has the greater need.

Since God needs nothing and we need everything, who should be doing the begging?

“But Jill,” you may say, “does this really matter? Aren’t you just splitting hairs? “

Maybe, but I don’t think so.

A.W. Tozer wrote in his book “Whatever Happened to Worship?” An individual Christian will be a success or a failure depending upon what he or she thinks of God. And I agree.

How much confidence can you have in God if He has to beg us for stuff?

Dogs beg, God does not.

Have a wonderful weekend little Zebras, serving the Most High God who holds in His hands all good things.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment