Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, December 27, 2010

The Day After

Psalm 118:24

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Good morning Zebras,

The Monday after Christmas weekend, that just sounds like a day made for the blues.

But it doesn’t have to be. It is up to you.

Many of you I’m sure had a wonderful Christmas and you are sad that it is over. Just as many of you had a disappointing Christmas and you are dealing with that. And I can relate because I’ve had both. Dealing with Christmas depression is usually just part of the holiday season.

But this year I accidentally did something that changed my perspective. I didn’t serve Christmas dinner until the twenty-sixth. I was so tired after making a big breakfast that I decided I would just make Christmas dinner the next day. And I loved it. Not because it got me out of cooking on Christmas day but because it reminded me that Christmas is not a day it is a lifestyle that extends far beyond December twenty-fifth.

For the world Christmas is a one day extravaganza, but not for us. For us it is just another day to celebrate the birth of Jesus, something we should be celebrating every day. And I was reminded of that yesterday while I was making dinner.

Why do we make such a big deal out of Christmas? It is just a day like any other day given to us by God for our enjoyment. Or maybe a better question is why we don’t make a bigger deal out of the three hundred and sixty four days that aren’t Christmas.

Jesus Christ, whose birth we were celebrating, came as a baby, died as a man, rose as the Son of God and is coming again. The party isn’t over. It is just beginning.

Prior to Jesus’ birth we were trapped in our own sin, powerless to overcome the evil that lived inside of us. But now because of His birth, death, and resurrection we are new creatures, not new creatures for a day, but new creatures for eternity and what you did or did not get for Christmas doesn’t change that. So rejoice!

If you are struggling this morning it might be because your hope was accidentally in the wrong thing this Christmas. If it was in what was under the tree, or any other earthly expectations, then you might be disappointed. But if it was in Jesus Christ, the Author and Perfecter of your faith, then don’t worry you got everything you wanted.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment