Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Overburdened

John 14: 27

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

Good morning Zebras,

I woke up feeling burdened this morning. (It could be a sugar hang over-but that is a different
z-mail.) The joy that should be the hallmark of a Christian’s life was definitely eluding me.

Last week I heard a Christian say: "Life is hard and then you die.” At the time it struck me as wrong. But this morning I thought maybe she was right. Maybe life is just awful and hard and all I have to look forward to is heaven.

And then I went to God's Word to see what He had to say about the matter.

Life is tough, that’s true. Jesus told us that in John 16:33, but in the same verse He promised us peace "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."

How can both possibly be true? How can the world be hard and yet we still have peace? But Jesus promised it more than once.

In Matthew 11 He said: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Does your burden feel light? Is your soul at rest? Maybe the problem is you are wearing two yokes. Animals only wear one yoke at a time, but we humans try to wear two. We wear the yoke of the world and then we add on the yoke of Christ, so instead of making our life easier it makes it more difficult. And to make matters worse we don’t really know what the yoke of Christ is.

The yoke of Christ is not all the work you do for the Lord, it is not the list of things you need to do to live a righteous life. It is nothing that you have to do other than change the focus of your life - instead of worrying about the things of this world, trust God and worry about getting to know Him more.

I think a lot of Christians think if they devote themselves to Christ, He will take things away from them. They won’t get to do all the things they enjoy doing. But it isn’t true. God is not the big bully in the sky; He is our heavenly Father who desires only the best for us and has the ability to do it.

God did not send Jesus to make us miserable, we were already miserable. He sent Him so that we could have a joyful and abundant life-now and also in eternity.

Anyone who tells you differently is mistaken.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment