Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Refocus

Luke 10:41

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.”

Good morning Zebras,

I don’t know about you but I am really struggling this year. I have the tree and the lights and I know that “Jesus is the reason for the season” but I still “ain’t feeling it.” I don’t have any of that excitement that is supposed to surround Christmas and I have lost the joy that I had before all this started.

So this morning I asked God why. And although I didn’t get a specific answer I got a few suggestions.

As much as I don’t want it to, Christmas adds stress. The cookies and goodies that are everywhere are like living in a mine field for me. To you they may be harmless treats but to me they are snares that trip me up because of my wrong thinking.

The Bible does not forbid cookies, or goodies, our culture does. And fifty three years of living in a culture that values thinness over godliness has got me all messed up. The truth is God cares more about what comes out of our mouth than what goes in.

Then there is the stress of not doing enough. If you manage to avoid the traps of the world there is still other Christians to keep up with. Trying to be godly among the godly is a battle that no one can win, because the moment you start playing you are in sin.

And then of course there is the money. Knowing how much to spend and what to spend it on can drive a person crazy.

Of course the sad thing is I feel close to God almost all the time, but right now when the world says He should be the closest He feels the farthest away. And why is that? I think it is because I have reduced the amount of time that I just sit in His presence listening to Him speak.

Preparing for Christmas and the retreat have me very task orientated, but God is not in the tasks. He is in the still small voice that speaks when I make time to listen.

As Christians we know that Jesus is always with us, even if it doesn’t feel like it. So if you are finding this Christmas season to be stressful check to see if you are focusing on the wrong things. If you are, grab your Bible and stop. Spend some time at the feet of Jesus, I think that is why He came.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment