Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas

Hebrews 10:23

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.

Good morning little Zebras,

I have been struggling the last few days trying to hear God’s little small voice through the noise that is Christmas. Not that there is anything wrong with all the cookies, trees, lights, and presents but for me they were obscuring God’s voice.

Last night I was talking to my kids about it. I am so used to hearing God speak that His silence has me a little disturbed and I wanted their perspective. Both of them said the same thing that God was still speaking but His voice was being drowned out by all the noise and busyness of Christmas.

Then Nick gave me a great word picture. God’s voice is like a pebble in a puddle. It is easy to see the pebble when the water is still, but if you drive a truck through the puddle, you muddy up the water and the pebble disappears. No matter how hard you try you won’t be able to see the pebble until the water calms down.

So this morning I got up early, while everyone was still asleep and asked God what He wanted me to remember this year about Christmas.

He wants me to remember that He keeps His promises. Thousands of years before Jesus’ birth God promised to send a Savior, and He did.

Preparing for retreat I have been spending a lot of time studying the life of Abraham. And although he didn’t use to be one of my favorites, he is now. There are so many lessons to be learned from his life, not the least of which is that God can be trusted to keep His promises.

God does not promise things and then change His mind. Nor does He not promise us something He can’t deliver. And He wants me to remember that.

He wants me to quit being like Peter walking on water one minute, sinking the next. He wants me to believe that He can do the impossible and live accordingly. He wants me to know that He is in control of all situations and to quit worrying. He wants me to focus on Him and His faithfulness instead of my shortcomings. And He wants me to quit thinking up back up plans in case this “God thing doesn’t work out,” because the God thing ALWAYS works out. He wants to increase my faith.

I have no idea what present God has for you this Christmas, but I know He has one. Don’t be too busy to open it.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment