Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eat the Good Stuff

John 4:13-14 (English Standard Version)

Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday I forgot to feed my moodles. Moodles, for those of you who are new, is the name we made up to describe our little dogs that are half mutt and half poodle.

All day they kept going to the back door asking to be let out to use the bathroom and I couldn’t figure out why. About four o’clock I realized the reason they kept wanting to go out was because they wanted the treat they get for going “potty-potty” outside. Since they hadn’t had any breakfast they were trying to fill themselves up on little bones.

This morning as I was feeding them, I thought that is a great topic for today’s z-mail. How the lost try to fill themselves up with the little things of the world because they are hungry and they don’t realize only God can satisfy them.

And then I realized that there is an application for Christians too.

This weekend a friend gave me a book to read. It was a good book and I’m sure I would have liked it. It was about God’s faithfulness to one of His dedicated servants.

That night, when I went to read it, I felt God say. ”You can read the words of men, or you can read the words of God. You can read what I did for them, or you can read what I want to do with you.”

Obviously, I put down the book and found my Bible.

All of us have limited time to read, and it is fun and encouraging to read what God has done in other people’s lives, but not if it takes the place of reading God’s Word.

There is a lot of “Christian” literature out there and not all of it is good. Some of it is so far off track and riddled with worldly philosophy that it shouldn’t even be in the Christian book section. Especially in secular book stores. But even the good stuff can become a hindrance if you rely upon it more than you rely upon the Word of God.

If all you read is what God has said to other Christians, you are cheating yourself. You are living on pre-chewed food. God has a feast prepared for each one of us, but we need to open His Word and eat.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment