Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, January 14, 2011

Making Sandwiches

Genesis 18:13-14a

The LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?’ Is anything too hard for the LORD?

Good morning Zebras,

I have been making lunch for my daughter since she started first grade. She is a senior this year so that means I have been making her lunch, almost every day, for twelve years. As you might imagine I have gotten pretty good at it.

In November, when I had hip surgery, one of the things I quit doing was packing the kid’s lunch. Instead I gave them money and they bought their lunch at school.

It is a pattern we have continued until today because last night my daughter asked if I would pack her a lunch.

This morning as she was eating breakfast, I remembered I hadn’t packed her lunch yet. She only had a few minutes left before she had to leave for school, so she told me not to worry about it, she would just buy something.

I knew I had plenty of time to pack a lunch before she had to leave. She wasn’t so sure.

She went off to brush her teeth and I had her lunch packed before she got back downstairs. After twelve years of practice, packing lunches isn’t hard for me.

Yesterday I spent the entire day pondering on the power of God. I have asked God for something big and I believe He is going to do it, but I still have doubts. This morning He used a simple sack lunch to remind me, nothing is too difficult for Him.

For twelve years I have been making my daughter’s lunch, yet this morning when she was under pressure to get to school on time she wasn’t sure I could to do it. She wanted to take the money because she was afraid I would let her down. She was afraid I had promised something I couldn’t deliver.

How many times do we do the same thing with God?

We ask God for something, then decide it is too hard for Him and quickly go to Plan B. When the truth of the matter is nothing is too hard for God, NOTHING! And everything we ask for, EVERYTHING, is like “making a sandwich” for God.

It is hard to wait on God, probably one of the hardest things He asks us to do. But as my son says, “Mom, it wouldn’t feel like a miracle if He did it three weeks in advance.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment