Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Know God

Psalm 9:10

Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Good morning Zebras,

This morning my daughter and I took a walk. Now, before my hip went completely out six months ago, I used to walk quite a bit. So last night when we were discussing which walk to take this morning, I said I wanted to take the “big walk.” It is about three miles and goes up and down hills.

But my daughter didn’t think I was up to that yet, since I am still recovering from hip replacement surgery so she suggested the “medium” walk. Not quite so long and not quite so hard.

Well, this morning I found out I am not even ready for that. Six months of little to no exercise has made me weak.

To have strong muscles we all know they need to be exercised. And that includes our spiritual muscles. I think the reason so many Christians are struggling is they haven’t really exercised their spiritual muscles. We have never really learned who God is so we aren’t as strong as we could be.

The last few days, I have been reading A.W. Tozer’s book The Attributes of God. Tozer was a godly man whose entire goal in life was to know God and to encourage others to do the same. In the first chapter of his book he wrote this:

[I started this chapter with the verse]…”they that know thy name will put their trust in Thee” [because] the word “name” means character, plus reputation... We wonder why we don’t have faith; the answer is, faith is confidence in the character of God and if we don’t know…God… [therefore]we can’t have faith.

Truer words were never spoken.

God wants His people to know Him. He wants us to know He is sovereign, holy, good, just, powerful, forgiving, faithful, loving, gracious, merciful, and righteous. He wants us to know He is everywhere in charge of all things. He wants us to know that, with His help, we CAN walk the “big walk.” He wants us to quit worrying and have faith.

I don’t think any of us can live the victorious Christian life we desire without a clear understanding of who God really is.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment