Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Little Help From My Friends

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (English Standard Version)

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!

Good morning Zebras,

I had decided not to write to you this morning. God hadn’t given me anything to say and I have learned from painful experience that it is best to listen to God.

So I decided I would use the time I normally spend writing the z-mail to call my Zebra sister Nancy. Nancy and I met at Awana camp a couple of years ago and she got involved with Zebras when she commented on my poor spelling and grammar.

I believe her exact word were something like. “I really like your e-mails but I always fix your mistakes before I send them on.”

Now I could have been offended but “truth is truth” and I already knew that English was not my strength. I mean I flunked Freshman Composition twice in college. So we made a deal, I would send my z-mails to her for editing before I published them.

But sometimes Nancy wasn’t available so I drafted my husband to help me as well. Gary is really good at grammar and he knows my writing style, so editing my z-mails is a job he was made to do.

Yesterday, you may have noticed, I didn’t ask either one of them for help.

I figured they were both busy and I didn’t want to bother them so I tried it on my own. I read it over multiple times; I even called a friend and read it to her over the phone. But you probably wouldn’t know that from the finished product.

From what I hear there were multiple errors.

So here are the lessons. First, even when you think you can handle things on your own, don’t! God gave us other Christians to encourage us and walk beside us. He gave us people who have different strengths than ours because He doesn’t expect us to do everything alone. Even small things like writing z-mails are better when you do them together.

And second, you need to be willing to ask for help. I assumed that Nancy and Gary were both too busy to help, but I was wrong. They were just waiting for me to call.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment