Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

There is a Difference

1 Corinthians 3:12-13 (English Standard Version)


Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.


Good morning Zebras,

While I was recovering from hip surgery in November I had a lot of time to watch movies. I went on Netflix and ordered up my favorite Christian movies and when those ran out I ordered the ones that Netflix suggested.

One of the movies starred an actor I didn’t know was a Christian. So I was really surprised to see he had also produced it. Producing and starring in a movie, to me, says that you are passionate about the project. But that isn’t how the film felt.

It was actually weird. They were saying all the right words, sort of, but there was no spirit behind them. They felt like lines in movie not words from God.

Any one of you who has seen the movies the Kendrick brothers have done know what I mean. Flywheel, Facing the Giants and Fireproof are all movies but they are also riddled with the presence of God. The faith of the people involved shines through.

When my husband got home I told him about this weird movie I had watched. It piqued his curiously so he looked the actor up on the internet. Turns out he is not a professing Christian; he is the president of a company that produces movies for target audiences.

This movie was actually their second project. Their first was a movie for people who loved sports; this one was for people who loved God.

That explained everything.

They hadn’t done this project to bring honor and glory to God, they had done it to entertain Christians and make money. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I guess Christians need movies too, but it sure felt different.

Doing “Godly” work for personal gain doesn’t have the same spirit as doing work for God’s glory. One is about us and one is about Him. And even if I can’t always tell the difference, that movie made me realize others probably could.

I guess that’s why Paul urged the Corinthians: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment