Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, June 26, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Sorry for the late post, but I needed to take care of something before I could write.

For reasons, unrelated to this post Gary and I have a lot of garbage this week.  Garbage Day is Wednesday and our bin and most of our downstairs trash cans are already full. And the trash keeps coming.  Yesterday we decided to use the bins of our neighbors who are on vacation.

We couldn’t find the bin of the people we know the best, people we always trade favors with, so we dumped our trash into the bin of a neighbor we barely know. 

But before we did I checked around to make sure that they wouldn’t be home before trash day. I didn’t want them to know I was using their bin without permission.  My source said they thought they were gone for another week.  They were wrong.
Last night at 1:30 am I woke up to the sound of them unloading their suitcases and all I could think was “I’ve been caught!” When I finally went back to sleep, I had nightmares the rest of the night about being a thief.
Of course, I was a thief before they got home, but now I was a thief who was going to get caught! So, this morning I had to sneak over and take my trash back.
Robbing space in a trash can seems like a very small crime considering what others do, but “others” aren’t our standard. Our standard is God’s Word and I broke the 8th and the 10th commandment.
Exodus 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or ANYTHING that belongs to your neighbor.” (even their empty trash cans)
Exodus 20:15 “You shall not steal.”
I coveted the empty space in their trash bin and then I sent Gary out to steal it. A "small sin," but still a sin, and one that needed to be dealt with because the Bible is very clear, there is no such thing as a “small sin.”
James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
Which makes me grateful that God loved me enough not to let me get away with it.
Hebrews 12:5–6 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.”
And since I don’t want to add "lying by omission" to my “list of accomplishments” I have already resolved to tell them what I did and ask for forgiveness.
Love,
Jill
Funny end note: When I took back my trash, I had to take theirs too so I ended up worse off than I was.



No comments:

Post a Comment