Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Thursday night Gary and I went to see “In Our Hands: The Battle for Jerusalem,” a documentary about the Six Day War.  I was very excited to hear all God had done to defend Israel in 1967 when He allowed them to win a war against multiple enemies who were much larger than them.

But I was very disappointed, instead of being a movie about what God had done, it was a movie about what Man had done.  Although in hindsight I shouldn’t have been surprised because if the movie was going to be about God the title would have been: “In His Hands.”

The movie started out good, I was pleased to see Bible verses displayed on the big screen but quoting Bible verses does not make a Christian movie any more than quoting scripture makes a person a Christian.

A Christian movie should strive to bring honor and glory to God, not to men, in the same way a Christian should strive to bring honor to God and not himself.  It’s wonderful Israel had great military strategists, but their strategy was not what won them the war.  God did when He stepped in and defended them.

God wants the credit for what He does. He is a jealous God and He does not want His glory given away.

Exodus 34:14: Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Isaiah 42:8: “I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.”

I love you Zebras, so much.  A wise older woman once told me to be careful when you use the pronoun “I” because you may be robbing God of His glory and taking the credit for yourself.

I would add, be equally careful when you talk about the vehicle God used to accomplish His miracle because that too can strip God of the honor belonging only to Him.  God did a miracle for Israel and although they probably didn’t mean to, the movie makers gave the glory to man.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment