Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Potato Pancakes

Isaiah 49:23c (ESV)

Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.

Good morning Zebras,

When I was little, my mom used to make potato pancakes. She would save the leftover mashed potatoes from dinner and in the morning she would form them into pancakes and fry them up in a pan. They would come out crispy and delicious, golden brown on the outside and steaming hot in the middle. I loved them.

When I got married I thought I would share this delicious culinary treat with my husband. I did exactly what my mother had done but for some reason they never came out right. After a few tries I decided I didn’t have the “knack” and gave up.

A few months ago I decide to give it one more try and this time God showed up.

“Your problem,” He said as I was putting my pancake into the pan, “is patience. You don’t give the pancake time to brown before you start fiddling with it.”

So I tried it, instead of constantly checking to see if the pancake was browning I just left it alone. And of course He was right. The pancake came out perfect.

Since then I have made quite a few beautiful potato pancakes. But, standing at the stove watching them and waiting for them to brown has been a struggle. And every time I hear God say “You need to be patient.”

That is, until last night.

Last night I just dumped the pancakes into the pan and went about my business. I was in the middle of doing laundry and picking up the house and I didn’t have time to stand there and watch potatoes brown. So I didn’t. I just came back about ten minutes later flipped them over and left again.

That’s when God taught me another lesson about patience and trust.

God wants me to be patient, it’s true, and that involves trust. God wants me to be patient AND trust Him enough to go about my life doing the things I need to do confident that He will do His part. He does not want me wasting my life “standing over the stove” waiting for answers or worrying about what might happen.

Love,
Jill


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the analogy, as well as the memory of my own mother making potatoe pancakes...which I actually use to like more than hash browns in the morning. Thanks, Jill, for keeping us all in remembrance of just how much we need our Savior!

    Reposting...not sure how I ended up on yesterday's.

    ReplyDelete