Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Servant

Mark 5:18–20 (ESV)

As he was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed with demons begged him that he might be with him. And he did not permit him but said to him, “Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him, and everyone marveled.

Good morning Zebras,

Each one of the gospels was written with a different emphasis. Matthew emphasizes the kingship of Jesus, that He was the long awaited Messiah, Luke emphasizes His humanity, John writes to prove Jesus was the Son of God and Mark focuses on Jesus as a servant.

Although I have probably heard this numerous times throughout my life, it really didn’t register until I studied Revelations and learned the four creatures around the throne coincide with the four aspects of Jesus presented in the Gospels. But I still didn’t pursue it until I heard a pastor mention it in his message a few weeks ago.

At that point I figured maybe God was trying to tell me something so I decided to read the Gospels with an eye towards what they were trying to say.

Since I have studied Matthew and John in Bible Study Fellowship, I started with Mark and read about Jesus the Servant.

I didn’t need to get very far before I realized Jesus does understand what we go through. People were always pushing on Him, demanding things from Him and the more He gave the more they demanded.

That is probably why it is in Mark we find Jesus rising early in the morning and going off to a solitary place to pray. (Mark 1:35) Before He could face the demands of the day He chose to spend time alone with His Father.

But it was today’s verse that really caught my attention. Jesus had just healed this man from being demon possessed and he begged Jesus to let him go with Him. But Jesus said “No.” Instead he sent him home to witness to his own family about the power and mercy of God. And he did.

Instead of doing what he wanted, he did what Jesus wanted, and forever modeled for us what it means to be a servant of Christ.

Love,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the analogy, as well as the memory of my own mother making potatoe pancakes...which I actually use to like more than hash browns in the morning. Thanks, Jill, for keeping us all in remembrance of just how much we need our Savior!

    ReplyDelete