Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Useful to God

2 Timothy 2:20–21 (ESV)

Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

Good morning Zebras,

Is there any more beautiful phrase in the English language than “I was useful to the Master?” It ranks right up there with “Well done good and faithful servant.” And I think it is what we all want to hear. But will we?

Until a few months ago I’d never heard of John Piper. One if his books was recommended to me so I went online to purchase it. While I was there I browsed through his other works and Don’t Waste Your Life caught my eye. I even put it in my cart but at the last minute I took it out.

Last week, my daughter bought the books she is supposed to read before her mission trip this summer. And you guessed it, Don’t Waste Your Life was one of them.

Anytime God brings something across my path more than once I figure He is serious, so I am reading the book. And it is wonderful.

Piper says many things that God has slowly been showing me Himself and that’s so encouraging. It is like I found a male Zebra!

The premise of the book is that any life spent doing anything other than glorifying Christ is a wasted life. Not that all of us are supposed to quit our jobs and go to the mission field, but we are supposed to glorify Christ in all we do. We are not supposed to fit in with the world and value what they value. We are supposed to be different.

Each one of us has a choice of what to do with the gifts that God has given us. We can use them for our own pleasure and amass worldly wealth or we can use them for God’s glory and amass eternal wealth.

Like today’s verse says, if we really want to be useful to the Master we need to throw off the sins that so easily entangle and everything that hinders, and run the race that God has marked out for us, with our eyes fixed firmly on Christ constantly thinking, “Is what I am doing bringing glory to God?”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment