Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Change of Perspective

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Good morning Zebras,

I wasn’t sure what verse to pick for today’s z-mail.

The principle that God always knows what is best for us and desires to give it to us is such a Biblical truth. But since my hip surgery and the retreat I have been thinking about that concept even more.

Four months ago if you had asked me why I was having surgery I would have told you that I was doing it in obedience to God. I felt like God was asking me to do it because I believed He had work for me to do, that I couldn’t do as a “one-legged Zebra.”

Everyone around me knew I was still questioning if I had heard God correctly, right up to the day of the surgery. After the doctor had prescribed pain meds, I was pretty sure I could limp through life on Vicodin and Motrin. I kept wondering if I’d misheard God.

But God and my friends kept reassuring me I had heard Him correctly so I went through with it. When I came out of surgery, my first thought was “I did this for you, God.” And I thought I had. Now I realize I didn’t do anything for God, he did something for me.

He knew how much pain I was in, even though I didn’t, and He knew the surgery would fix it. He knew that I needed to obey Him in this area so that He could give me relief.

And then He did the same thing with retreat.

Getting ready for the retreat was difficult. God had me work through some old memories and re-live feelings I would have preferred to ignore. He knew that if I would obey Him in this area and persevere He could heal me. And He did.

Now I’m wondering if there is really anything I “do for God.” I think everything He asks me to do for Him is just because He wants to do something even greater for me.

God knows what’s best for us. He wants us to have the full and abundant life He promised and the freedom in Christ we desire. But He knows there are some things we have to give up to get there. That’s where trust and obedience comes in.

If God is asking you to do something you would rather not do, trust Him and obey, He is doing it “for your own good."

Love,
Jill



No comments:

Post a Comment