Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, February 28, 2011

Noisy Gong

1Corinthians 13:1

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Good morning Zebras,

Last week I told you I tend toward the truth side of Christianity. That was not a revelation to me, but rather an admission that love is a trait that I am always working on. God showed me years ago through today’s verse that all my knowledge and ability to explain God’s word would be useless if I did it without love.

A few weeks ago my husband and I watched Fireproof again. That movie didn’t impact me like Facing the Giants did, but I do believe God has blessed the Kendrick brothers’ ministry and since the movie is about learning to love others I decided I should watch it again. Watching the movie made me want to buy the book.

So last week I went to the store to look for it. When I opened the front cover and saw today’s verse inside I knew I needed to read it

The focus of the book is marital relationships, but I figured what is good in marriage is also good in life so I decided to read it as a “how to love others” book.

The first two traits are patience and kindness and that makes sense since they are the first things mentioned in the definition of love found in 1 Corinthians 13 Love is patient and kind; Notice they are mentioned together.

That’s because, according to this book, patience and kindness are the pillars that love is built on.

Patience is how we react in a negative situation. You are slow to anger. You choose to have a long fuse rather than a quick temper. Rather than being restless and demanding, love helps you settle down and begin extending mercy to those around you. Patience is an internal calm during an external storm.

Kindness, they say, is love in action. It consists of four basic core ingredients: gentleness, helpfulness, willingness and initiative.

While patience avoids problems, kindness creates blessings.

One is preventative, the other proactive.

For me, just those two traits alone, if put into practice, would dramatically improve the way I interact with others.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment