Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Not What it Seems

Matthew 16:23

Jesus turned and said to Peter. “Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

Good morning little Zebras,

This summer I took care of my mother-in-law after her knee surgery. One of the places I took her was the beauty parlor to get her nails done. As a way of thanking me for helping her, she offered to pay for me to have my nails done too. Since I don’t really have nails I opted to have artificial ones put on instead. And they look great.

On Friday I opened the car door wrong and one of the nails came off. Instantly my beautiful nail was gone and the ugly nail underneath was visible.

Now I could have gone in and had a new nail put on, but I haven’t because looking at it reminds me that things are not always what they seem.

I bet you can all think of things that you thought were wonderful but turned out awful or things that you thought were awful that turned out great. I know I can.

For example, when I was younger I worked as a police dispatcher. It was the first “real” job I ever had and I wanted to do well. But I didn’t and eventually they let me go. It is the only job I have ever been asked to leave and at the time I was devastated. In hindsight I can see it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Working at the police department was not good for me. I ran into too many people who did not want to do the right thing and I had started getting very jaded. If I had continued in that job my personality would have completely changed.

On the flip side I thought getting the huskies, my cat killing hounds from heck was a good idea, but I was WRONG! Really, really wrong.

And then there is today’s verse where Peter wanted to stop Jesus from going to the cross because he thought it was a bad idea. Which it was from Peter’s point of view, but not from God’s and that’s what Jesus told him.

So yesterday when my husband was told that his company was in financial trouble and he should start looking for other work, I immediately thought “This isn’t what it seems. It seems like it is a bad thing, but it isn’t because God has it ALL under control.”

Don’t you love what God can teach you from a broken nail?

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment