Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Playing Hurt II

Philippians 4:13b-14

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Good morning Zebras,

I couldn’t shake yesterday’s post about playing hurt. It was intended to be about doing ministry even when we are wounded but I couldn’t stop thinking about all the wounded women I have met who are playing their whole lives hurt.

Last month, my church’s Zebras were instructed to meditate on Philippians 3 and 4 in preparation for retreat. At the herd meeting on Saturday many shared today’s verse saying that through their quiet time and at retreat God had told them to leave everything behind and press on toward the goal of knowing Him.

When Paul wrote this verse, he was thinking about all the good things he’d left behind, how he’d been a religious leader of high standing and a Roman citizen. But most often what we need to leave behind is the pain and disappointment of the past.

Speaking from experience I can tell you that learning to let go of your past is one of the most difficult, but most important tasks, you can ever do. It will literally set you free.

Too often we blame men for the bad things that happen to us. We hold on to bitterness and unforgiveness for the way we’ve been treated. But there is a bigger picture and a larger issue to wrestle with.

God is sovereign and all-powerful; He is in charge of everything that happens. Nothing happens that He does not allow, the good and the bad, and we have to deal with that and accept it or God is not God.

Ten years ago, I asked God why He allowed certain things to happen in my life. He gave me this verse: Job 5:18 "For He wounds, but He also binds up; He injures, but His hands also heal". With it I began to heal.

God does allow us to be injured, He does let us become wounded, but He also heals us and binds us up. Somehow that changed everything. God had not turned His back on me, He had not forgotten me, He was not unable to protect me, He had allowed me to get hurt but He had been standing right there waiting to make me better.

God does not want His people playing hurt, He wants to heal them and make them whole, but He can’t do that unless you get to know Him.

Love,
Jill

I realize that this is huge topic for a small Zmail. But if this is an area you are wrestling with here’s a link that might help you. http://www.gci.org/spiritual/trials/whysuffer

No comments:

Post a Comment