Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, February 7, 2011

Count on God

Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.

Good morning Zebras,

One of the people I taught on at retreat was David, the shepherd boy who became the greatest king Israel ever had and the only person called “a man after God’s own heart.”

There were so many lessons from David’s life it was hard to pick which ones to talk about. He had some spectacular victories and some spectacular failures. And even though many people know about his sin with Bathsheba, they are not aware that David also got in trouble with God for counting his fighting men. (2Samuel 24)

Counting men does not seem to be as big a sin as adultery and murder but God was not pleased and David was punished. Why? Because of the reason David counted.

David counted out of pride and arrogance so he could see how big an army he had. He did not count out of need. If Israel had been going to war, David would have needed to count the men to draft an army, but God had given them rest, so counting wasn’t necessary and therefore it was a sin.

Ever since retreat I have been noticing how much I count. I count the Zebras on Facebook, herds that have been started and this morning I was counting the days left until my daughter left for Korea. And all of us count money!

Now there is nothing wrong with counting, but I am really being challenged to take a look at my motives.

If I count money to see if I’m going to starve, Zebras and herds to measure if I am “doing a good job,” and time in anticipation of some future event that interferes with my enjoyment of the present, then I probably need to stop.

God, not money is my security. It really doesn’t matter how much money I have because tomorrow God could bring more or He could make what I have disappear. God is the only thing that doesn’t change and the only thing that can really be counted on.

God, not men, should be the reason I continue Zebras. I write and speak because God has told me to, not for man’s approval. It shouldn’t really matter if there are ten Zebras or ten thousand, God’s the One I’m working for.

Counting time tends to focus me on tomorrow instead of today. I count time like I know how much I have left and can control what is going to happen. But I don’t, and I can’t, that’s God’s job. My job is not to count and plan but to live today in total obedience to God, trusting that He has tomorrow well in-hand.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment