Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Our Awesome God

Psalm 113:5

Who is like the LORD our God, the One who sits enthroned on high

Good morning Zebras,

I love God.

I love the fact that He is faithful, even when I’m not. I love the fact that He is unchanging and always good even when I’m moody and hard to get along with.
I love the fact that He has all knowledge and all power so I don’t have to. I love the fact that He is everywhere all the time and that nothing escapes Him. I love the fact that He is perfect and holy. I love that fact that He is nothing like me.

I used to look at my circumstances and try to understand God. Now I look at God and try to let Him take care of my circumstances.

Last night Gary and I were discussing our future. Every time we could get to something we couldn’t really do anything about we would say “That’s God’s business.” By the end of the conversation we had very little left to worry about.

Whether or not Gary gets a new job, how much that new job pays, and if it has medical benefits are all things we really can’t control. Gary has to do his part, he has to look for work, but God has to do the rest.

And the same is true for me. Whether or not I go back to teaching next year is up to God. If I need to go back to work, and God makes it possible, then I’ll go back. If God wants me to work full time and continue doing Zebras He will give me the strength to do it. If not, then that’s His choice, He’s God, He gets to call the shots.

Preparing for retreat was an incredible experience for me. To be prepared to teach I spent a lot of time pursuing God. I prayed, like Moses in Exodus 33, that if God was pleased with me He would show me more of Himself. And I believe He did. He put me in the “cleft of a rock” by allowing me to have hip surgery and showed me parts of Himself that I did not fully understand. And then at retreat He brought it all home.

Last July when
God gave me the title for the “Pursuing God” retreat and the desire to do it He also gave me another phrase, “Resting in His Presence.” At the time I thought it was supposed to be the theme of the next retreat. But I was wrong. What I think He was telling me is that “resting in His presence” is what happens after you wholeheartedly pursue God, because the more you know Him the more you can rest.

Love,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia Chinn-HeadenFebruary 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

    I do agree that God ushers us into a place of rest in HIM, through our first seeking HIM and HIS kingdom. Jesus called us to come and rest in Him...all who labor and are heavy laden. In the old testament, Joshua rested from battle and enjoyed the fruit of his labor. I know HE has hidden me in the "cleft of the rock" at various seasons in my life...and I have never felt safer or more at peace. Thanks for sharing your heart with us today...blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. "My soul finds rest in God alone".

    ReplyDelete