Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Check the Motive

1 Corinthians 10:31 (ESV)

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Good morning Zebras,

What is your motive for…?

A seemingly simple question that is fraught with self-deception.

Last night I was reading something and it asked this question. What is your motive for wanting to …? It then went on to say that any motive other than desiring to bring glory to God would be the wrong motive.

So I had to stop and think. Was glorifying God my true motive? Was it my motive for everything? Am I constantly aware that the purpose of my life is to bring glory to God?

I had to honestly admit I didn’t know anymore, a few weeks ago I would have said “Yes,” but now I wasn’t so sure.

So I took it to God in prayer. And this is what I learned.

I know that glorifying God should be the motive for everything I do, but I don’t really put it into practice. I suffer from intermittent, job specific glorification. I glorify God in some areas, but not in others.

For example, I know this ministry must be done for God’s glory. There is no other reason to do it. If it is all about me I need to stop. But because it's not about me God has blessed it.

But what about more mundane activities in my life like house cleaning. Do I realize that it too should be done in a way that honors God?

Or what about taking care of my family, my car, my body? Do I know those things should be done to God’s glory too? Do I realize that every word I utter, every little thing I do should always be done with the motive of glorifying God? Have I really internalized that truth to the point it permeates everything I do?

Nope, not yet, but I want to.

Dear Heavenly Father, help met be aware today that everything I do should be done with the motive of bringing glory to You. The big things like sharing the gospel and doing ministry work and the little things like cleaning a toilet or taking out the trash. All are equal in Your eyes when the motive is to bring you glory.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment