Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sitting on the Sidelines

Psalm 25:5 (ESV)

Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.

Good morning Zebras,

Sorry I haven’t written lately, but God has me in a very strange place.

For the last three years I have felt driven to do stuff for God, to start Zebras, to make the blog, go on Facebook, share it at Awana conferences and finally to organize the retreat. But now that the retreat is over I feel “lost.” I feel like God is saying “Well done, take a break.”

So I keep checking to see if that is Biblical. Does God tell His people to stand down?

A few years ago I was so busy I thought I would lose my mind. But I kept taking my schedule to God and He would confirm I was doing exactly what He wanted me to do.

Then He started taking things away from me. Until I now have almost nothing at all to do. I check with Him all the time, but the answer I keep getting is “rest.”

So I guess I’ll rest.

Doing things just to do them is as stupid as not doing things you are supposed to do.

One of the great lessons out of the Bible is you don’t do anything unless God tells you to. Abraham and David both got into trouble when they did things without checking with God first. Paul would change his travel plans if God showed him he should. And Jesus came and did exactly what His father commanded Him.

Being open to the leading of God is really important and sometimes that means we are supposed to do nothing.

Most of us like to keep busy, we want to do, do, do. But God maybe wants us to stop, stop, stop so that He can “do” instead.

It reminds me of when my kids were little and I would let them “help” me with the chores. It was fun and they learned a lot but when I really wanted to get some work done fast I would send them out to play and do it myself.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment