Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Good afternoon Zebras,

I have been giving a lot of thought to Christmas as the celebration of Jesus’ “birthday,” and I have decided his “birth” cannot be separated from His life, death and resurrection.  We celebrate His birth because of the life He lived.  

If He had lived a normal life, or an evil life, like Hitler, the “world” would not still be celebrating it 2000 years later.  So, when you share Jesus with your friends at Christmas, make sure to tell the whole story.

With that in mind, here is a fun fact Nick learned at Moody this semester.  On the cross Jesus is recorded as saying: “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?”

Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

It caused confusion among the bystanders, some of whom thought He was calling for Elijah. But the Pharisees and Sadducees in the audience would have known exactly what Jesus was saying.  He was quoting Psalm 22, which starts out “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

They would’ve also known the rest of the Psalm, which reads like a description of the crucifixion:

Psalm 22:14–18 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.  Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.  I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.

We use so many words and sometimes say so little, Jesus used so few words and even at the end said so much.  

Partly I think, because He always knew who He was talking to. Of course, He was God, and He had all of God’s words at His disposal, but Jesus never was a “one message fits all” kind of person. He tailored His words to the audience He was trying to reach. And with His help I believe we can do the same. 

I love you Zebras, pray before you speak this Christmas and make it your goal to share only the words given to you by God for the people He knows are listening.   

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment