Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

For the first time, in my entire adult life, I’m almost ready for the “man side” of Christmas and it’s only Dec 1st.  The tree and decorations are up and the presents are bought and wrapped.  Which leaves me three wonderful weeks to do nothing but pray.

As I shared the other day I’m praying this is going to be a different Christmas, in fact it’s the prayer that’s constantly in my head, “Please Dear God, don’t let this be just another Christmas.”

To that end I’ve taken everything we do to prayer.  Is this something that can stay, is this something that should go?  Does this point people to You?

One of the things that had to go was the traditional Christmas Eve dinner.  My guests may not put up with every meal being about Jesus, but they will tolerate at least one.  So instead of eating tamales and decorating the table in red and green, we are eating simple fare and decorating the table in purple and gold.

Too much emphasis is put on “holiday” food, at least in this house, and since I want to move the emphasis to Jesus, I am going to downgrade the food for one meal.  I’m praying canned soup and bread, eaten with an eye towards God, will be more powerful than tamales and beans eaten with an eye towards our stomachs.

And I threw out the red and green color scheme because it has nothing to do with Jesus. Red and green scream “Christmas” but they don’t scream “Christ!”  So, I bought an inexpensive purple table cloth and gold runner from Amazon and I’m going to set the table in the colors of a king!

When I’m preparing for an event I pray over every detail, every word, every PowerPoint slide, because I want everything to be about Him.  God told me I needed to do the same with this.  I can’t approach Christmas with the same old attitude and expect different results.

So, in my mind, this isn’t really “Christmas” anymore, it’s an event, hosted at my house, that is going to be attended by family.

Love,
Jill

P.S. I am luckier than some, my company arrives on the 23rd and stays until the day after Christmas. That gives me three full days to plan.   Each day and meal will have a theme and hopefully by the time they leave, everyone, including those who already love the Lord, will have heard from God.  Exodus 33:13, 18: “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know You and continue to find favor with You” … “Please (Lord) show me Your glory.”


No comments:

Post a Comment