Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Do Not Worry

Matthew 6:25
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body what you will wear. Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes?

Good morning ladies,

Even though I have not been writing about it, I have continued to read Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by D. Martyn Lloyd Jones. It has been a wonderful and challenging book full of wisdom and insight. Yesterday I got to the chapters on Matthew 6:25-34.

I grew up “poor” or so I believed. We always had food on the table, a roof over our heads, clothes to wear and even a car to drive when I got old enough. So why did I think I was poor?

I thought I was poor because my parents always worried and fought about money. My dad was self-employed and from a child’s perspective it seemed like we were always on the brink of disaster.

When I got married I told Gary he could do anything he wanted, except be self-employed. There was no way I wanted to continue to live my life constantly worried about making ends meet.

But because God has a sense of humor, and He knew that I needed healing in this area, He provided Gary with a job…in a start up company.

If you have never had the experience of being part of a start-up company, let me tell you I don’t think it is much different from being self-employed. Needless to say I didn’t like it, but Gary did.

On the third job change God gave me this section of scripture.

Therefore I tell you do not worry…Who was Jesus talking to? He was talking to the disciples, men who had just left their jobs and their homes to follow after Christ. If anyone had a reason to worry you would think it would be these guys. You’d think that Jesus could give them a little sympathy. Instead Jesus tells them, I gave you life, and I will take care of you. Focus on what I am asking you to do and let me take care of the rest, quit worrying.

As I look around right now, I see so many people worried about the future and if I stop and think about it I could get worried too. Instead I think of God’s promises.

God gave us life and He has promised He will take care of us. He has promised that He will supply our daily needs, He has promised that He has plans to give us hope and a future. He has promised that every life has a purpose. He has promised that He would never leave us nor forsake us. He has promised that in this world we will have trouble, but He has overcome the world.

I believe one of Satan’s greatest weapons is to get us focused on the cares and concerns of the world making us forget all that God has promised us.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment