Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Truth in Love

Ephesians 4:15
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.

“The truth in love” has been a rather irritating phrase to me. What exactly was it supposed to mean? I mean I understand truth-it is the Word of God, and I understand love, or at least I think I do but I could never really get the two to go together, until recently.

In the first chapter of 2Samuel, an Amalekite comes to David and tells him Saul is dead, killed in battle, and claims credit for killing him. Now the Amalekite expected David to reward him for getting rid of Saul, but he didn’t know David’s heart. Instead of rewarding him, David had the Amalekite killed for daring to raise his hand against the Lord’s anointed king.

Good story, but what makes it really great, is that the Amalekite lied. He did not kill Saul; Saul killed himself after he had been mortally wounded in battle. The Amalekite only told David that so he would win favor in his eyes and possibly get a reward.

What can we learn from the Amalekite? Have you ever seen people bring news to another person with impure motives?

Yes. Me, every time I tell someone to do something because they should, or because I know it is the right thing to do, even if I’m right.

My motives are not pure, they are prideful.

What if the Amlakite had loved David? He would have still run to tell him the news, he would have still taken him Saul’s crown and bracelet, but he wouldn’t have lied. He would have known that David would be grieved by Saul’s death and he would have told him gently.

That is speaking the truth in love.

You don’t change what you say; you change why you say it and that will change and how you say it.

Have a wonderful day ladies, I love you all.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment