Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Be Still and Wait

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Good morning Zebras,

I am preparing for the Awana conference this weekend where I am going to be teaching a workshop on the importance of being still. It is a shortened version of a retreat I did last January. Last night I was reviewing the material.

I defined “being still” as a state characterized by little or no commotion or agitation; calm and serene. It is not just sitting around doing nothing and it is not recreation it is a state of mind that allows us be like the eye of a hurricane, calm and peaceful regardless of the size of the storm.

The theme of the weekend was Psalm 46:10a be still and know that I am God but I gave other reasons why it is important that we learn to be still. The first reason I listed was Exodus 14:13-14. When we are still God will fight for us.

The Israelites were standing on the edge of the Red Sea; the Egyptians were in hot pursuit. They were trapped with no visible way out. Can you imagine how they felt?

I can, at least a little, because I too have been in a position where it felt like there was no way out. My back was up against the wall and there wasn’t anything I could do to get what I wanted. But rather than waiting for God’s deliverance I started thinking and planning. Like a fox in a trap I was willing to chew my leg off to get free.

This morning God showed me by doing that I robbed myself of seeing the spectacular deliverance He had planned. And I was sad.

God really doesn’t need our help or our plans. He has the situation under control. What He needs is our faith. He needs us to stand patiently and wait trusting that He will deliver us. He needs us to believe that there is nothing too hard for Him and that His arm is not too short. He needs us to understand that His ways are not our ways, but His ways are best. He needs us to be still, inside and out, and know that He is God.

Fortunately, I think He is going to give me another chance.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment