Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, September 17, 2010

Temptation

1 Corinthians 10:13-14

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.

Good morning Zebras,

All week I have been planning on writing you a z-mail about temptation and sin. My nurse friends have been telling me for years that it is easier to control pain than it is to “reel it back in.” That has never been my philosophy, but recently I have found they were right.

So I got to wondering if the same principle applied to sin and I decided it did. Even though it seems difficult to resist sin, it is easier to walk away before you sin, then start down the road and stop.

This morning I was tempted to skip writing because I have a lot to do, but I opened Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest and it was on temptation.

Chambers writes: Every person actually determines or sets the level of his own temptation, because temptation will come to him in accordance with the level of his controlling, inner nature.

He shares : Temptation comes to me, suggesting a possible shortcut to the realization of my highest goal-it does not direct me toward what I understand to be evil, but toward what I understand to be good. And I thought about what tempts me.

Even though I am not the same person I was ten years ago I still fall to the very same temptations and I think that it is bad. I am not usually tempted by good I am still tempted by what I know to be evil. And I was embarrassed that my level of my temptation has not risen along with my obedience to and understanding of God.

And then I thought about Jesus in the desert.

Satan started out with food. But he didn’t end there. When Jesus resisted he went on to pride, and finally he offered Him a shortcut to what He had come to do. He offered Him the world-without the cross.

Suddenly I realized falling to the same old temptation is like reading a picture book in college, easy, but not necessary.

Love,
Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment