Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Egg

Exodus 20:17

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Good morning Zebras,

Last night at dinner I told the kids there was only one egg left in the house for breakfast and then I made the mistake of asking who wanted it. The ensuing discussion was so funny, each one of them trying to prove why they deserved the egg.

Nick had the upper hand with his argument that he had a math test and therefore needed the protein to think clearly. But I really hadn’t decided who to give it to when I remembered that there might be another egg, already boiled, in the frig.

Then the conversation switched to who got the “new” egg and who would get the “old” egg. So I told them I would decide in the morning.

This morning I got up, threw both eggs in a pot, and boiled them. Then I mixed them up so even I didn’t know which was the “old” egg and which was the “new” egg.

When Nick came down to breakfast I told him what I had done and told him to pick an egg. I could tell by the yolk he got the “new” egg.

You may think this is a lot of thought being put into a couple of eggs and you would be right, but the bigger picture is this; Katherine does not eat the whole egg.
She doesn’t like the yokes so I throw them away or give them to the dogs. Nick,on the other hand, likes the whole egg.

But any of you who have eaten “old” eggs know that the only real difference between a freshly boiled egg and one that was boiled a few days ago is in the yolk. The whites of “old” eggs taste the same as the whites of “new” eggs but the yokes taste different, at least to me.

Since Nick ate the whole egg, he “needed” the “new” egg. Katherine did not.

So what started out as a fun little “argument” about an egg ended up as a lesson in the provision of God.

God gives us what we "need", not necessary what we want. And He gives others what they “need” as well.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment