Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Blessings or Forgiveness?

Numbers 14:20-24

The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked. Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth, not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times- not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it. But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.

Good morning ladies,

I am reading a wonderful book: The Joy of Fearing God by Jerry Bridges and I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to grow in their faith and understand how important it is for Christians to fear God.

God wants us to fear Him for our own good. Because if we fear Him there is a better chance we will obey.

God loved the Israelites. They were His chosen people. He wanted to bless them beyond their understanding but they didn’t get it.

Even though He did great and miraculous things in their presence, they never grasped the fact that following God was the only way to blessings.

They would follow for awhile and then get distracted and fall into sin.

We are just like them, maybe worse because we have grace.

We do not take seriously God’s command to put to death therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature, partly I think because we know we are forgiven.

But look again at today’s verse.

Moses has appealed to God to forgive the Israelites for their disobedience. God had commanded them to go into the Promised Land but they were afraid and rebelled.

Note what God says: I have forgiven them…but they will not go into the Promised Land.

He forgave them, but they did not get the blessings.

Only Joshua and Caleb, who followed God wholeheartedly, went into the land.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment