Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, May 14, 2010

High Expectations

Philippians 3:13-14

Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Good morning ladies,

For the most part I don’t care for Christian bumper stickers. I think it is very difficult to convey the truth of God’s Word in a cute little phrase that fits on the bumper of a car.

But other people seem to like them.

One bumper sticker that I particularly disliked, which fortunately seems to have fallen out of fashion was: “I’m not perfect just forgiven.”

To me it seemed the height of arrogance.

To presume upon the grace of God by openly declaring that you can act however you want confident that God will forgive you just seemed wrong.

Today I realized why.

The Bible says in Hebrews: by one sacrifice He (Jesus) has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

The footnote says: We have been made perfect, yet we are “being made holy,” Through His death and resurrection Christ once for all, made His believers perfect in God’s sight. At the same time, he is making them holy (progressively cleansed and set apart of His special use) in their daily pilgrimage here. We should not be surprised, ashamed, or shocked that we still need to grow.

In God’s sight we are forgiven and perfect. We just don’t act like it.

One thing I have learned from dealing with children is they live up to your expectations. High expectations and support get the best results.

God already knew that.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment