Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, May 24, 2010

Perfect Love

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Good morning ladies,

Some mornings I have to pray for hours to figure out what to write to you because I feel like I have nothing to say, this morning I had to pray because I have so much to say I didn’t know where to start.

Learning what it means to fear God has been an incredible experience. I feel like God has taken a growth spurt.

Of all the verses in the Bible about fearing God this is the one that is often quoted to prove that God does not want us to fear Him, He only wants us to love Him, because doesn’t it say “perfect love drives out fear?”

However, that is not consistent with the rest of scripture and since scripture does not contradict itself this verse must not mean that. So I started praying, I told God I didn’t understand and I asked Him to explain it to me.

And I think He did.

I love the hymn Amazing Grace and I am so glad Chris Tomlin incorporated into one of his songs. It gives me a chance to hear it more often.

But I have a confession to make; I never understood these two lines:

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.

What the heck does that mean? Grace taught me to fear and Grace relieved my fears? It never made sense, until Friday.

I was driving to Sacramento for an Awana event, listening to my music and Chris Tomlin’s song came on. When he sang the second verse I felt a light turn on.

God’s grace He taught me to fear Him. And because I fear Him I have nothing else to fear.

That’s why John can write “perfect love drives out fear.”

It is not the fear of God it drives out it is the fear of everything else.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment