Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, December 12, 2011

Long Suffering

2 Peter 3:9  

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Good morning Zebras,

I have always struggled with doing Advent-related activities.  I start off really well, but after about a week I miss a day and fall behind.  Then the pressure to “stay on track” takes the joy out of whatever it is I’m doing.  I have resolved not to let that happen this time.
Last Thursday I fell behind.  I had intended to write two on Friday to “catch up” but I didn’t get them done.  Now I am faced with a few choices.  I can give up, I can write two a day until I catch up, or I can accept the fact that I am not going to get through all the attribute ornaments by Christmas and keep going anyway. 

I have chosen option number three because God will still be worth discussing  on December 26, and because His attributes shouldn’t be gobbled down two at a time, like chocolates from an advent calendar, just to stay on track.

So, thanks for waiting, our next attribute is long suffering.
I think we can all agree that God is very patient. He puts up with a lot before He finally blows.  At least that is how it appears, but as I pondered patience in light of His immutability I knew that couldn’t be the way it worked.  In humans patience is something that comes and goes, something we can “lose.” But it can’t be that way with God.

The Bible Dictionary defines patience as:  The ability to take a great deal of punishment from evil people or circumstances without losing one’s temper, without becoming irritated and angry, or without taking vengeance. It includes the capacity to bear pain or trials without complaint, the ability to forbear under severe provocation, and the self-control which keeps one from acting rashly even though suffering opposition or adversity.

That certainly describes Jesus. Jesus had all the power to stop what was happening to Him but He didn’t. He suffered through everything they did to Him without raising a finger.  He was the perfect example of what patience looked like in human form.

But it describes God the Father also.  What God showed me as I prayed over His patience for the last few days was that He doesn’t “blow” and act out of anger.  He doesn’t get tired of dealing with His people and lose control.  And He did not discipline the Israelites because He lost His patience and couldn’t take their nonsense anymore. He was simply doing what he had told them He was going to do. 

All of which is very good for us. 

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment