Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gentle

Matthew 21:5 (NIV)

 “Say to Daughter Zion, ‘See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’ ”
Good morning Zebras,

Today’s attribute is Gentle. 
My first reaction when Nick picked “gentle” from the Christmas tree ornament box was, “Well, that explains it.  Gentleness combined with patience explains a lot about how God deals with me.  If God was a violent, impatient person things would be a lot different.”

But then I started thinking.  Is gentleness really an attribute of God?  It isn’t listed in any of my attributes of God books and just because it is written on an ornament doesn’t make it true so I decided to do a little research.
Turns out there are a few Greek and Hebrew words that get translated as gentle.  And there are other closely related words which get translated humble or meek.   In the ESV and ISV today’s verse is translated “‘Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey” But the NASB agrees with the NIV and uses the word gentle.  So which is it? Is God humble or gentle or both? Are humble and gentle the same?  

Obviously at this point I was in over my head so I sought the advice of my pastor. 
One of the questions I asked him was could Jesus possess an attribute that God the Father did not have.  It is easy for me to see the gentle nature of Jesus, but gentle is not the first thing that comes to mind when describing God.

He responded with:  I would go the route that Jesus suggests - "If you know me you know the father." Therefore - if Jesus is meek, God has meekness as a quality.
But I still wanted to find a reference to the gentleness of God in the Old Testament.  This morning I found two. The first is when God speaks to Elijah on Mt. Horeb in 1 Kings 19.  God could have spoken through the wind, the earthquake or the fire, but He didn’t, He chose instead to speak to Elijah through what the Bible describes as a gentle whisper.
But the second one was a verse that I had never really seen before.  Written by David and recorded twice, it says “your gentleness made me great.”

Isn’t that encouraging?!  God’s gentleness can make us great. 
My first thought was “Oh goody, through the gentle instruction of God I can become great,” but then I realized that was probably not right.  What makes us great is not what we do but our faith in the gentleness of God as revealed in Jesus.

Love,
Jill 

No comments:

Post a Comment