Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Unity

Deuteronomy 6:4 (ESV)

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Good morning Zebras,
Last night Nick drew “Unity” out of the ornament box.  My first reaction was “Unity?  How I’m I going to write an encouraging z-mail about that?” But this morning things looked a little different.

First, obviously, unity is an attribute of God.  The Father, Son and Spirit exist in perfect harmony.  They never argue they never disagree.  They are one united team that works together to accomplish what needs to be done.
Wouldn’t that be great if that could be said of God’s church as well? 

With the exception of what I call the big three, omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence, God’s attributes are imparted to us as well.  We are gracious because God is gracious; we love because He is love, etc.  And we are to have unity because He has unity.
Read Jesus’s prayer recorded in John 17:20-23 (NLT)

 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one.  I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.”
If you look at it that way, unity becomes hugely important.  We are commanded to be unified so we can reach the world.  I don’t think God ever intended for there to be 38,000 different Christian denominations.

Nor do I think He intended for us to argue amongst ourselves about the best way to do ministry. Unity cannot exist unless everyone is focused on what honors God instead of what honors them.  In Matthew, Jesus warned that a house divided against itself would not stand and in Galatians Paul wrote them to warn them that if they kept arguing they were going to destroy themselves.
And it cannot exist if we continue to talk behind one another’s back.

So the next time you are tempted to complain about a fellow Christian worker stop, and pray for them instead. A spirit of unity has to start somewhere. Personally I think it would be great if it started with us.Love,



Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment