Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Infinite

1 Kings 8:27 (NLT) 

“But will God really live on earth? Why, even the highest heavens cannot contain you. How much less this Temple I have built!”
Good morning Zebras,

Today’s attribute is infinite.

I know I have written about this before but I couldn’t find it.  I went through the older postings on the zebra website but when I couldn’t easily locate it I decided God wanted me to write it again.

Infinite is the very first attribute Tozer covers in his The Attributes of God books.  When I first read them I thought that was a very odd place to start.  If we were explaining God to someone we would start with His love, or maybe His holiness, but we would never start with that fact that He is infinite.
But knowing that God is infinite, that He exists beyond space and time is important if you are trying to understand how great God is. Because God is infinite He cannot be measured.  We talk about endless wealth or boundless energy but there is really no such thing.  Everything we have and do is finite and can be measured except for God. 

Which means every time we try to explain God, we limit His greatness.
Recently I have felt the strain of trying to explain God with mere words.  Words cannot do justice to something that is beyond our understanding, but since it is all we have, they will have to do.

The fact that God is infinite also means that every attribute He possesses, He possesses infinitely.  Therefore there is no end to His wisdom, His love or His power.   They go on and on, into infinity, never reaching an end.  That too is beyond our understanding.  We have a limit on our knowledge, abilities, and love.  God because He is infinite does not.

But still sometimes we don’t realize how great God is until we put it into perspective.
Think about an ant.  It is a great little insect, one which I hope we can all agree is inferior to man.  Yet an ant is a finite creature, it can be measured.  There is a limit to physical characteristics and abilities.    As humans, we too are finite creatures who have limits and can be measured.  But God, because He is infinite, does not.

This means, God, in His infinitude, is more superior to humans than humans are to ants.  For, although the distant between us and an ant can be measured the distance between us and God cannot.  We were created in the image of God, and we have many of His characteristics but the difference between us and He is infinite.
Which when you think about it is very, very comforting.  Because I don’t know about you, but I don’t want a God who I can fully explain or understand.  Nor do I want a god whose powers and abilities are as limited as my own. I want my God to be the infinite, perfect, all-knowing, all-wise, all-loving, infinitely boundless, perfect God that is found in the Bible. Don’t you?

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment