Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, December 23, 2011

Omnipresent

Psalm 139:7–12 (NLT) 
 
“I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!  If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.  If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me and your strength will support me.  I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night— but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.”

Good morning Zebras,

Today’s attribute is omnipresent; the attribute that means God is all-present.   He is with me while I am writing this and He is with you while you are reading it.  He is not limited by time or space so only God has the ability to be EVERYWHERE all the time. And it’s an attribute God had to help me to understand.

Some Christians use God’s omnipresence like parents use Santa.  “Don’t do anything you don’t want God to see because He is right there with you.”  So, for me God became a police officer in the sky, the enforcer whose presence keeps you under control, which made God’s presence oppressive and unpleasant.

The first time I read today’s verses I thought David agreed.  Poor David, I knew exactly how he felt, no matter where you go you can’t get away from God. But obviously that isn’t what David is saying at all. David isn’t complaining because he was trying to hide from God and couldn’t.  He was praising God because David understood that everywhere he went God’s guidance and strength went with him.

The other thing Christians do sometimes is to pray for God’s presence.  So I started doing the same thing.  It was a case of “Monkey see, monkey do,” until recently.  About a year ago I was praying for my son during my morning quiet time.  Nick was on a mission trip so I was praying what every mother prays when their child is on a mission trip “that God would be with Nick and the rest of the kids on the trip."

And God stopped me for a little clarification.

“Jill,” He said, “you do not need to pray for me to be with Nick and the others, I am already there.  My presence does not depend upon your prayers.  Pray instead that Nick and the others would be aware I am there.”

It was one of those light bulb moments where your understanding of God grows. So now I no longer pray for God’s presence.  Not because it is a bad prayer, but because it seems to shrink God and could be a stumbling block to others.

Dear Heavenly Father, I do thank you for Your omnipresence, Your ability to be everywhere at the same time and I pray each of us would have an increased awareness today of Your presence not only in our lives but in the lives of those we love.  

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment