Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, December 9, 2011

Unchanging

Hebrews 13:8 (ISV)

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today—and forever!

Good morning Zebras,

Today’s attribute is “Unchanging.”  Actually, that was yesterday’s attribute.  I struggled all day trying to write a z-mail about the unchanging nature of God but if never felt right.  This morning I think I know the reason why.  God’s Immutability, the big Biblical word for the unchanging nature of God is more head knowledge for me than an attribute I have pondered on and internalized.

As a woman I am anything but “unchanging.”  I change from day to day and sometimes from hour to hour.  I am influenced by other people and by what I eat.  I can be happy one minute and mad the next.  And I know I am not alone.
Things change too.  Take this z-mail for example.  When I wrote it this yesterday it said one thing, now it says another.  Or think about life in general.  Kids grow, people move, friends die, trees change.  Change is the natural order of our lives.  And because of that it is difficult for me to grasp the fact that God doesn’t.

God has always been and will always be exactly as He is right now.  He doesn’t have bad days and good days.  He doesn’t evolve.  He doesn’t get better because He started out perfect.  And He doesn’t get worse because then He wouldn’t be God.  And that sounds simple until you really start thinking about it, then it makes your head hurt. 

God does not change ever.  From the beginning of time, for all of eternity God has been and will always be the same.  He has always existed in the form He is right now.  He has always possessed the exact same qualities and attributes that He has right now.  They haven’t improved and they haven’t decreased, and they haven’t increased.
I have heard people refer to God as the “Old Testament God” and the “New Testament God,” as if God changed between books.  But He didn’t.  Who He was in the Old Testament is who He still is. He didn’t quit being holy and righteous when He revealed His mercy and grace through Christ.  He couldn’t and still be a God worth worshipping.

If God could change, we would never know what to expect.  We would not be able to approach the throne of grace with confidence because we wouldn’t be sure who was sitting there when we went.
And God’s immutability is why He can be our rock and our foundation.  It is why we can confidently build a life on the truth of Jesus Christ.  Because God’s immutability also means He won’t be changing His mind. 

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment