Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Stop and Chew

Galatians 5:22–23 (NLT)  

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Good morning Zebras,
I wasn’t going to write a z-mail this morning because my brain is starting to hurt. Thinking a lot about God’s attributes, as revealed in scripture, is putting me into information overload and I decided I need a day or two to process what I have already learned.  But then I realized that should be the subject of the z-mail.
When I was little my mom used to tell me to chew my food thirty-two times before swallowing.  Personally, I think chewing your food that much turns it into disgusting goo, but it is probably better for my digestive system than the chew, chew, swallow I normally do.
So today I need to slow down and chew on God’s word thoroughly before I swallow and move on to the next bite.
Let’s start with patience. I used to think I was being patient when I could endure, without complaining, rush hour traffic or a long line at the grocery store.  But after studying the Biblical definition of patience I realized I am so far from God’s goal it isn’t even funny.
The type of patience that Jesus displayed was not silent suffering through situations He could not change, but an active choice not to change a situation that He could.  He didn’t have to be patient, He wasn’t “forced” to wait, He chose to wait knowing that God’s will would prevail.

And He waited knowing that what the people were doing was wrong and evil.

Then there is gentle, the attribute we talked about yesterday.  The Bible says to “let your gentleness be evident to all.’  To ALL, not just your family not to just a select few friends but to everyone you meet or interact with though out the day.

Wow!  That is a lot of gentleness!

But what is gentleness.  It is not something we are born with.  It is not a quiet nature or a soft voice. It is a way of interacting with others we have to cultivate because it is one of the nine fruits of the Spirit and a character displayed by Christ.  It is an attitude which allows us to deal with others in a way that benefits them. 

It means I have to think more of you than I think of me. And it means that I have to deal kindly with everyone, even those people who I sinfully judge to be inferior, because that is what Christ did for me.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment