Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Unto Us

Isaiah 9:6 (NKJV)

For unto us a Child is born… 



Good morning Zebras,

I have a few friends who are very particular about words.  They think how you say something is almost as important as what you say.  Or maybe I should say they think how you say something reflects how you really think.

For example if you refer to the Holy Spirit as an “it” do you really believe he is an “it” or do you know He is a person with characteristics and attributes and have just gotten into the habit of referring to Him as an “it.”

Now for a lady whose favorite descriptive word is “thing,” that has been a challenge.  But I have found that becoming aware of the words I use has made me look more closely at what I believe to be true.

A few weeks ago at Awana one of the clubbers was sharing with me their excitement about Christmas. Joyfully they told me “It is almost Jesus’ birthday!”  And for the first time in my life I realized that it was not doctrinally accurate.

Jesus, like God is eternal.  He was here from the beginning.  John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word (Jesus) and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” Jesus does not have a birthday because He has always existed.  He just revealed Himself to us in human form at Christmas.

Now, you may ask “Why does that matter. Aren’t you just splitting hairs?”  Maybe, but to be honest, I don’t think so. I think my surprise at realizing it wasn’t really Jesus’ birthday may just be another indication that we’ve accidentally shrunk God.

Today starts the Advent season and Monday I got the best gift from a friend.  It is a box of Christmas ornaments each one inscribed with an attribute of God and a supporting scripture. The accompanying instructions say:  “Each night of the advent, choose one of the ornaments to add to your tree.  Before you hang it on a limb, talk about the ways God displays that quality. Look up Bible verses and talk about them.  Then pray together, praising God for that aspect of His character."

Personally, I can’t think of any better thing to do this Christmas than increase my knowledge of God. Because after this little revelation I know it is still needed.

I pray that you too have a wonderful Christmas season pondering on the mystery and majesty of God because it may not officially be Jesus’ birthday but “He is definitely the reason for the season!”

Love,
Jill

Attributes Ornaments
Faithful: 1 Corinthians 1:9
Righteous: 1 John 2:1
Holy: 1 Peter 1:15
Forgiving: Psalm 86:5
Loving: Romans 8:35-39
Merciful: Titus 3:5
All-Knowing (Omniscient) John 16:30
All-Present (Omnipresent) Psalm 139:7-12
All-Powerful (Omnipotent) Matthew 28:18
Eternal: Genesis 21:33
Full of Truth: John 14:6
Full of Wisdom: Isaiah 11:2
Compassionate: Mark 1:41
Just: Acts 17:31
Long-Suffering: 1 Timothy 1:16
Kind: Ephesians 2:7
Gentle: Matthew 21:5
Immutable (Unchanging): Hebrews 13:8
Creative: Genesis 1:26
Infinite: 1 Kings 8:27
Sovereign (Supreme Ruler): Jude 4
Unity: Deuteronomy 6:4
Full of Goodness: John 10:11
Trustworthy: Psalm 19:7
Generous: 2 Corinthians 8:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment