Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wise

Isaiah 11:2 (NLT)

And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him— the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

Good morning Zebras,

Today’s attribute is Wisdom.  And boy, am I glad!  I didn’t realize it but my mind was getting full of the wisdom of men and needed a good washing.  Spending the morning reading some great verses about the wisdom of God did the trick.

For me the quintessential passage on the wisdom of God is Proverbs 3. In my study Bible, it is titled “Further Benefits of Wisdom,” and it contains the following verses:

Proverbs 3:5–7 (NLT)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.”

I love that!  Do not be impressed with your own wisdom. Most translations say “do not be wise in your own eyes.”  Basically, do not think you are so smart, when the Bible says “the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom”

But that sure isn’t how people act, even Christians sometimes get tripped up.

For example, finding balance in our life is a popular Christian topic, and it sure sounds good when we talk about it, but man’s version is figure out how much time you have and divide it up.  Give so much time to God, so much time to work, and so much time to family.  But that isn’t what God says.  God says to pursue Him first, to love Him most, and to count everything a loss compared to knowing Him.

If you do that God will bring balance to your life. He will give you time to spend with your family, He will make you successful at your job and He will provide the opportunities to serve the kingdom. He will get your life in order if you wholeheartedly put Him first.

Or think money.  Man’s wisdom says, “Be wise, save up, you need to make sure you have enough to last you through the “Golden Years.” But again I don’t see that in the Bible.  What I believe God says is, “Trust ME!  Trust Me to take care of you today and trust Me to take care of you tomorrow.  Use what I give you to advance the kingdom and trust that I will give you more. Trust me enough to test me on this.”

Or how about how we spend our time?  Man’s wisdom says, “I don’t have time to serve God, I don’t have time to study my Bible, I’m too busy.  Maybe later, when the kids are grown or when I retire, then I will have time to focus on God.”  But that’s not what God says.  God say, “Follow me now, obey me now, you don’t even know what tomorrow holds. This very day your life might be demanded of you and it’s “Game Over.” 

And the list goes on; education, our children and how we define success have all been tainted by the wisdom of men.  In fact I am struggling to think of one good example where the wisdom of men agrees with the wisdom of God, which is why we so desperately need the wisdom of Christ.

Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for Your word, Your wisdom and Your Son.  Thank you for reassuring us that the world’s ways and Your ways are not the same.  Thank you that you do not judge the success of a man based upon outside appearance and material wealth, but upon the heart. Thank you for sending us your Son, not only as our Savior, but as the human embodiment of Your wisdom.  A flesh and blood example of what it looks like to live a life that is completely pleasing to You.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment