Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I don’t know if I’ve used this analogy before, but God brought it up yesterday so I’m writing it again.

Prior to watching Bull Durham, I  didn’t know the catcher is the one who controls the pitcher’s throw.  I knew they sent signals back and forth but I never really thought about why.  And it may be that it isn’t even true but it was true in the movie.

We are the pitcher, God is the catcher.  He is calling the shots, we are just throwing the ball. And if we get too full of ourselves and start shaking off the catcher’s signs, and throwing whatever pitch we want, like the pitcher did in Bull Durham, then everything goes badly.

The thing I seem to have to learn over and over again, is just to throw.  Not to question what God is telling me to do no matter how small the signal.

On Sunday, at God’s request, I got up, got dressed, put on my makeup, set up my sound equipment and got all ready to preach a sermon to no one.  Twice God told me to text Gary and tell him not to come home until I was done.  Both times I shook Him off.

Gary was at church with his mother, the service started at 10, so I figured there was no way they were going to be home before Noon.  I was going to be done long before then, since the imaginary service started at 11.  I played a few worship songs to get in the mood and then started to preach.  At 11:15, as I was halfway through the sermon, I saw our van come around the corner and Gary and his mom arrived for Easter brunch.

You would think, that if I am willing to dress up and set up as if I was preaching to real people, that I’d have been willing go all the way and send Gary a text!  Nope!  Not me, I learn the hard way!  So, what should have taken me twenty minutes took me the rest of the afternoon and I am sure it wasn’t as good as the interrupted “take” would’ve been.

This Sunday, I am once again going to get up, dress up and set up as if I’m preaching to real people.  The imaginary service will start at 10.  This time I would appreciate your prayers, the message is after all for you.  Please pray I say only what I am supposed to say and that I do everything I am supposed to do, with the goal of making a video to encourage those who listen.

Thanks,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment