Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, April 24, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Let’s look at two passages on Temptation.

James 1:13–15: “Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He himself tempts no one.  But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.  Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.”

1 Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”

Every man has their own temptation.  Mine involves ministry.  I put so much of myself in everything God has me write and do, the human side of me wants some reassurance it is being read or watched.

On Facebook, the only way to know how many people have read or watched something is when they react and I have learned how to deal with that.  Not true on the Blog or YouTube.  Both of those sites have counters that tell how many times the post has been viewed.

Last Monday, after the Easter sermon, the Blog caused me to stumble when I looked at the counter and it said “0.”

I say stumble not fall, because I know how to right myself.  I tell myself the truths I already I know.  I am not doing this for men, I am doing this for God and I have no idea how or when God is going to use what He is asking me to do.  My job is just to obey and leave the results to God.

But that doesn’t mean stumbling is fun, it isn’t, it hurts and if left unchecked it could send me down and dark and negative road filled with self-pity and anger eventually disqualifying me for ministry. So, I quit looking at the counters when I put up the new post.  I post quickly and go.  Lingering and looking is what got me into trouble.

I share this not so you can reassure me or make me feel better, but so that you will stop and think about your own Achilles heel and the things that cause you to stumble.

Temptations come that’s part of living in the world, how you react to them is up to you.  And from personal experience I have found it easier to avoid situations that cause me to stumble, or prepare beforehand, than to try and fight my way back.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment