Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, February 22, 2010

Expectations

Romans 6:5-7

If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. (NIV)

Good morning ladies,

What kind of Christian are you? What is the goal of your life? These are the focus questions for this week’s Bible study in Philippians.

As we have studied Paul we have learned that he had one goal and one focus in life, to become everything God wanted him to be. To do that he needed to be totally obedient to the vision that God gave him and die to himself.

Everyone who deals with children knows that they live up to our expectations. If we expect very little from them we get very little, but we if raise our expectations and offer the needed support they will often perform beyond our expectations.

God has great expectations for us. He expects us to be like Christ and He has given us all the support we need. Paul understood that.

The other day I realized I no longer pray “God give me the power to…” because I now know He has already given it to me. Instead I pray “God, help me use the power You have given me to…”

It is a subtle difference, but it has changed everything.

For example, I used to think that I had to put on the Fruit of the Spirit like a set of clothing. I had to put on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control and make myself act that way, no matter how I felt inside.

It never seemed to work. No matter how hard I would try the ugly sin nature that seemed to be running my life would break through and I would fail-miserably.

Now I realize that God, through faith in Christ crucified my sinful nature. The old man inside of me is dead and I don’t have to listen to him anymore. The indwelling Holy Spirit has put in me, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control. My job is to pray and let Him work.

That is so much easier. All we need to do is cooperate and let the Holy Spirit in us do the work.


Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment